Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Momofuku Cornflake Chocolate Chip Cookies


These cookies are amazing! They are highly addictive, which is never a good idea when there's so much sugar involved! The cookies have that crispy edge with a chewy center, and biting into one just makes you go "OHHH this is so good! But it's so sweet! I have to stop eating! But I can't? What should I do-" And that er, sums up my entire cookie-eating experience.




I first heard of Momofuku and David Chang when I discovered Momofuku's famed Ginger Scallion Oil recipe one lazy summer's day. It was one of those "quick, lunch, noodle" Google moments, where I was feeling desperate for something, anything! just to avoid eating Indomee (oh, those were the days). Anyway, that's a story for another time.


I came across this recipe recently, while browsing through one of my favorite blogs, Pick Yin's Life is Great. Please take the time to visit her site, and ogle all you want at her photos!


Momofuku Cornflake Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Life is Great

This recipe yielded 16 four-inch cookies.

Cornflake Crunch
170g cornflakes
40g milk powder
40g granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt (I used coarse salt)
130g butter, melted

Preheat oven to 130°C. Crush cornflakes gently. Combine well with milk and sugar. Add the melted butter into the cornflakes, and mix well.

Spread the mixture onto a parchment paper lined baking tray, and bake for 20 minutes, or until it smells buttery. Let cool to room temperature, and store in an air-tight container.

Cookie Dough
225g butter
200g granulated sugar
120g brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
240g all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon salt (I used coarse salt)*
270g cornflake crunch
125g chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 190°C. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and whisk them together with a fork.

Using a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla extract, and beat on medium high for 7-8 minutes. On low speed, add in the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips and cornflakes.

Scoop dough in 1/3 cup portions onto a baking tray. Flatten them slightly. Cover with cling wrap, and refrigerate for an hour. When you're ready to bake, arrange cookies 4 inches apart. These cookies will spread!

With my oven, I baked the cookies for 20 minutes until they were nicely browned around the edges. I rotated the tray halfway. You should check your cookies after 16-18 minutes of baking. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

*My brother complains that the cookies are salty. I find the amount of salt in this recipe just enough to offset some of the sweetness. I guess this is a matter of preference, but I love the salty-sweet combo!

No comments:

Post a Comment